Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sleep Apnea Surgery

I recently underwent surgery to treat my obstructive sleep apnea. The procedures which included a UPPP (removal of the uvula and soft pallette) and a tonsillectomy were performed by Dr. Eric Furst at Fairfax Hospital.

The goal of the surgery was to open up my airway thereby lowering the severity of my sleep apnea and reduce the level of snoring. I'm happy to report it's been over three weeks since the surgery and I feel great. Most importantly, I'm snore-free (almost unbelievable!) and I wake-up refreshed.

I will admit the first 10 days were painful, and at times, it was a difficult recovery. Not surprisingly, swallowing was initially very difficult so I subsisted on Boost, Jell-O, popsicles, and Gatorade for over a week. I eventually transitioned to soup, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc. Needless to say, I've been making up for lost calories over the past week.

Many thanks goes to my family for their support during the whole affair. Only one final test remains...the post-operative sleep study. If my sleep apnea levels have diminished from the "severe" to the "minor" range, then I'm home-free for the rest of my life (hopefully)!

No comments: